Sunday, July 11, 2010

Train Hopping and Tasting American Life


At night in my bedroom, I like to listen to the radio falling asleep but I also love opening the window. At certain times of the night I can hear the Union Pacific going by which it crosses at Guadalupe and Cooper. There are times in my life where I thought how fun would it be to just hop on a train. Leaving everything behind and just seeing how far you can get on a train. I've heard stories of people getting beating and dragged off a train for hopping it, maybe that part isn't so fun.

What is really so bad about hopping a train anyways? I can understand that your riding on something worth more than your life, but its not like the weight of an individual will make the train go off its tracks. I guess the whole thing for me is - where will I end up? where will it stop? and how many people really do it? or have done it? One of my vacations I've wanted to take is riding across the middle of the country on a train. Going through mountains, valleys, woods, plains, and small towns. Really see the heart of this country and get to know the people who live out liberty and freedom. I've always wanted to drive a car from the start of summer to the end of summer and go from Seattle to Portland, Maine then go down the East Coast back through Tennessee and travel back West. Ballparks, festivals, music, food, and so many other adventures. I know its simple but going to a bbq festival and tasting lemonade in the South is something that excites me. Meeting different people and hearing about the America they grew up in. We'll see if it happens. Maybe 2011 Summer?!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

My hubby used to hop trains and ride them in thatcher for miles haha he thought it was the funnest thing ever! You should totally do it! Just make sure you know someone that can come pick you up after. :)