Monday, July 26, 2010

Letting The ____Dictate their Own Path

While just reading Keith Urban's website album blog, there was a subject line that caught my eye.
Letting the songs dictate their own path! That statement hit me in a number of ways. Here's what I thought:

Music dictating my feet
Music dictating my mood
Music dictating my inspiration
How I dictate my happiness
How I dictate my future

Our path in this life is dictated by our own choices because what we do in this life echoes in eternity. So reading about Keith's intuition to create a feeling in music and to run with his ideas just amazes me. On the blog Brad states, "It's fascinating to watch Keiths attention to detail while still letting the songs and players dictate there own paths. Sometimes heʼll just sit for a minute silently ...and then all of the sudden he snaps back into the moment with a clear idea of where to go next." Amazing! I look at his attention to detail and it just makes me think how I allow the music to control my feet as I move across a dance floor.

I've found my best moments when I'm at my creative peak is when I'm EXTREMELY busy with life, when my stress release is at its highest point, or between midnight and 5am (for writing songs). It's weird that I have these different creative peaks at so many odd times. I've found when I'm most creative with business efforts I need to be really busy to plan, organize, and act on my ideas. This is most likely due to the fact that my brain juices are moving at high rates. For dancing and freestyling with hip-hop dance, I find that when my stress level is high and I need to break free-my times where I hit the beat and kill it is at those times.

There is preparation in everything we do, so just like Keith can stop for a moment and move forward with a sound or lyric--it took him years of practice and experiment to understand sounds, chords, and progressions. To be at that moment of "aha" or progression with any type of talent, there must be steps of preparation, of failure, of dust-sweat-tears-sometimes blood from the art of working towards the feeling of accomplishment on some level.

So whats your path? What is dictating it? What preparation are you making for that goal?

No comments: