Friday, July 30, 2010

The Gambler

Listening to fun.-The Gambler right now and thinking about the relationship I want with my future wife. Even just being in a relationship with someone is like climbing a mountain. I've always been the friend to most girls and even the girls I have dated, its maybe lasted 3 months at the most. I look around at healthy relationships and wonder what is really the secret to success of finding that someone you can know they know you are imperfect but you both work so hard to be perfect and treat the other one as if he or she are kings an queens. I don't believe love is dead or even chivalry, I'm such a strong believer in love like the Golden Age.


In this song "The Gambler" songwriter Nate Ruess writes the song is the voice of his mother who relates having a garden to her and her husbands relationship from the start to the growth of their children. It's so beautifully written and composed that even the hardest heart in the world would tearup just a little. One of my favorite lines in it is"I swear when i grow up i won't just buy you a rose,I will buy the flower shop!" The man doing everything he can to treat his wife like a queen. There elements of a strong relationship in the song about how the children have grown up and the characteristics they have of each parent. Then there is a part which the lyrics turn to her taking care of her husband through being in the hospital. Also see The Format-On Your Porch for Nate's experience of his dad being in the hospital.


I've had the pleasure of meeting the mother and fatherof Nate Ruess at a few concerts here in Tempe. I can see the love in the couples eyes. The last part ofthe song is about him coming home from work kissing his wife on the eyes, cursing at the dog, then going to the garden to see what they've grown, her setting the table, and him setting the fire. I think of simplicty, fun, hard work, tears, happiness, pain, laughter when it comes to the ups and downs of relationships. Although in the song he doesnt explain all the hardships that come with making relationsips last, you can tell that he celebrates the moments to which may have been difficult on them by sharing the moments that matter. Seeing the kids grow, moving toArizona to save their only son, how they met, overcoming health scares...all those experiences we have in life, when we have that other half, can be made even sweeter once the bitter has been tasted.


I cannot wait to sit with my best friend and wife,and have that feeling like no matter what we go through she is behind me 100% and I'm behind her 100%.And its like Keith Urban says,"They say behind every man is a good woman but I think thats a lie, cause when it comes to you, I'd rather have you by my side."I mean who wouldn't want that person who you can always depend on and love no matter what life throws at them.So my quest continues...I know lately I've put a lot of effort into someone who I absolutely adore becauseof who she is, what shes done, and the capacity of whatshe can accomplish. But again, as much as have toldher my feelings and there are similar feelings to a certain degree, I know that I couldn't just sit here and do nothing. I've done all I can. Whomever the Lord has prepared for me, I hope I can be prepared as a worthy priesthood holder in the LDS church, someone who will treat her like a queen, capable of providing, and someone who will continue to inspire.


Mrs. Ashcraft where-ever you are, I'm on my way!

No comments: