Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Top Events of 2009 : 4-3 Holllaaaa



4. Living Out an Eagles Song-Grand Canyon State move

January 2009 was probably one of the toughest months of my life in terms of emotions. I went through a lot of downs more than ups. I worked really hard with my Bishop to overcome a lot of the emotional transition I was going through. I had a lot of support from friends to get me through these rough times. Danny, Kyle, Megan, as well as friends from San Diego, Idaho, and Utah all had my back helping me gain some type of confidence. It was mostly due to a break up with my girlfriend. I cared so much about her and a lot of her was in me. It didn't help that we onlyt lived about 30 minutes from each other. I just didn't handle it well for myself. Nothing bad had happened and no hard feelings were felt between us, she just had a different path than me. She probably handled the situation better than I did. A lot of tears were shed! But I realize now that I needed to get through those pains to find strengths and a path towards what I wanted to do.

I had been working on some business ideas with my friend, Kyle Aldous, out in LA and we had hung out quite a few times. I was working hard with my brother doing property preservation. In my line of work I had a lot of time to listen to music and think, so it was tough to get over the break up. But I surrounded myself with goals I wanted to achieve and set forth to move on with my career. We were looking to do dance battles all around the country, like a tour, and in each city we would teach classes as well as help out a charity along the way. So we got to hang out and just talk about life and the girl situations we were dealing with. The Lord knows how to put us in paths where we gain great friendships at appropriate times. Kyle and I are actually very similar in personalities and many different aspects of our life.

While I was staying over at his place, one morning I woke up rather early and sat out on his porch in Glendale, California. While reading some selections in the Book of Mormon, I came up on some scriptures regarding serving the needy and sick and the thought came to mind that I needed to go get my masters degree in Business or Non-Profit studies. The other thought was helping these charities along the way for our dance battle business plan. I started doing some research on degree programs around the country. I had remembered I had looked at ASU for a Masters at one point but I was also looking at a Masters in Long Beach. The impression came to me that I needed to look into ASU and somehow Arizona was a place I should be. I had some close friends that lived out in this area such as Lance Thorson, Mike Marshall, and other random friends from BYU-Idaho and san Diego. Also a note that if I had not got into BYU-Idaho, I was going to move to Mesa and go to MCC.

My research on Arizona happened quite rapidly and I was doing everything possible to make it out here. Housing, friends on facebook. jobs, and masters programs with UOP & ASU. When I talked to Lance about coming out to Arizona to visit and see if it was something I wanted to do, it never really worked out. But he referred me to a manager at UOP, which I was able to have a few job interviews over the phone. Well I gave my brother my 2 weeks, and said I'm gone! I just needed to rely on faith and the Lord to help me be where I was going to grow. That was one of the craziest things I ever did, now that I look at it and I love that I did that. I'm a free spirit and a lot of people ask me - are you in Idaho, Utah, California, or Arizona? haha its funny.

So on my way, I drove with all my stuff packed into Maxine, my truck, and headed across the state line of Arizona. Like I mentioned before I only knew so many people so I relied on a friend of mine to connect me witht his guy Jeremy in Mesa. The first night I got there I met him and we headed to go bet on dogs at a racetrack or at least watch. i also ended up meeting a good friend that night, Erin Holmes. Jeremy had mentioned he had a friend who was looking for roommates in his new house in Gilbert. We went by and the place was amazing. It was Ben Brimhall from Prescott, Az. The place was 300 + utilities which for a private room and all the features was awesome. I was hesitant cause of the price, but I decided to do it! And I moved in with Ryan, Ben, and Chris. Such a cool household and everyone is clean! That place has never been dirty! Chris ended up moving out, and we got a new roommatte in Jared. He's a great guy but you hardly know he's home. I had tried to get my buddy Clint into the household but he hadn't moved out to AZ yet.

But I have made the best of friends out here, had some great experiences, and know I will continue to grow and strengthen my ability to rely on the Lord and allow his guidance in my decisions. There have been many mistakes and many tears shed, but a lot more happiness in friends and accomplishments. Done a few UVP events out here and have a lot going for 2010 with UVP and IKONIQ. I'm not going to mention names because theres so many, but thank you to everyone who has been there for my sickness, health, happiness, sadness, joy, and pain. I love you all.

3. Trip To London

Wow! this was the craziest adventure I've ever had in my 26.8 years! Haha, never do the lonnnggg distance thing with the opposite sex. At least stay in the same country! I loved London, but I would never live there. I would live maybe northern England. London is fast...way to fast for me. Really it seems everyone there has to be at they're destination at that exact time and if you're in the way of that path, you WILL BE TRAMPLED! I like to live life at a decent pace and by my own ways/means. Of course there are times and places I need to be which I will keep, but in London, it seems the only time they relax is on the tubes, buses, and trains. It seems that people wake up at 8 and get off work around 8 then go to pubs then go home around 11. The feeling is they live there life too fast and time just flys by. I'm the type to appreciate the simple things and enjoy every second of life. I guess that's why went I went to Tennessee back in 2005, the way, the people, and the life just really suited my inner soul.

So in all reality I went out to visit a girl, I had been dating and things were getting serious. We had become good friends and things progressed towards a deep care for each other. I had also planned on going in this month (January 2010) to see Michael Jackson at his "This Is It" concert, but we know the ending to that story. This girl was really awesome and we had just been friends for awhile until our feelings started to develop more -- well to the point that I bought a ticket to go out there and see if things would work. Even though closer to flying to London things started to get serious. I also had an old roommate from BYU-Idaho and best friend that lived in Stockwell. So I was ubbbeerr stoked to go! We had also planned to go to Paris, France for a day and see what there was to see.

A week before I was to fly out from Phoenix, things started to get kind of weird with the girl. She was very short with and seemed like she was busy constantly. I know it was crazy and nervous feelings were being felt, but I just didn't think anything of natural feelings. I mean 2 people meeting or seeing each other for awhile can get those feelings. By Saturday, on my way to London, I was in Chicago at O'Hare waiting to board the plane. I had texted her to say I'll be getting on soon. I received a phone call from her in which she basically had said, "We need to talk when you get here and I hope you know you're a good friend and great guy!" I thought nothing wrong with that, good words! haha. here we go

I arrive at the airport around 11 am, I eventually get ahold of her at 1130 and her with her friends end up snagging me around 1230pm. I was like wow! I guess time doesnt matter. But the whole trip I kept a positive attitude. While we were taking the train to church on our way to South Kensington/Hype Park, her friends had made there way to a farther side of the car we were in. She pulled me to the side and said she needed to talk about things. She had there had been some changes in the last week and that she was really confused about everything. She had a lot of pressure on her shoulders. A LOT OF PRESSURE? HER? awww sad! Now that I realize a lot about the trip - it seemed she acted very selfish in many ways. And at the first few days I was blind to see that.

She xplained how there was a guy she had wanted to date in February and he wasn't interested then, but apparently A WEEK BEFORE I COME OUT TO SEE HER he ends up telling her he's serious about dating her. haha, now if your somewhat together with someone wouldn't you normally tell that person that you're dating someone? am i crazy? She said all the xcuses - I'm not good enough for you, you're a really great guy, blah blah blah. I just sat there and told her whatever she needed I would help her and be there for her. I am just naturally sensitive to others needs and now that I think about it, I could have just as well ended it all there, hung out with her without having to feel the up and down emotions that I felt that trip.

I mean really who breaks up with someone when they come HALF WAY around the world. If anything I feel blessed to have the opportunity to go to London and visit somewhere not in America. All you really need to know is that she didnt want to be exlcusive and that she wanted this other guy. She could have come out and said that, so that I could go have fun all around England and France. THANK GOODNESS for having my buddy Filip there.

I'm not saying I depended upon Filip, but I think if I would've not had him there, I might have tried to get a flight back early! Rather, I was able to see some of the coolest history in the world. I find I give too much of myself! I'm tired of being walked all over with ladies. I feel like sometimes the person I am gets walked over on a consistent basis because I'm a down to earth nice guy who actually cares and is fun. So it sucks to be taken advantage of and for someone to pull this junk on me. Honestly, I was over it quite quickly and got to enjoy some fun. Not to say she and her family weren't hospitable, but my reasoning for going to London, originally, was for her and not the sights. That obviously changed when she changed her mind.

It was fun going to Big Ben and the House of Parliament, where he dad worked as an office manager for a member (similar to congressman or senator). Watching the debate was really fun and there was so much history. The funny thing is that you can't fall asleep in the debate (similar to Capitol Hill) or you will be asked to leave. You also go up a windy staircase to go to the viewing room which I felt like I was in a castle. So that experience was really awesome. I ended up going to hang out with Filip and Thalia, who I both met at Waterloo station which is a great station for people watching. We headed up to Camden Town to watch Thalia's friends band, The Tunics! It was at a place called the Barfly. The town around was really awesome and there was this cafe with the bestttt hot chocolate.

The rest of the week pretty much was checking out the sites, going to the London South Temple, checking out some pubs with Filip and Thalia (not i dont drink), doing some photography around town, checking out the Beatles sites, and watching Michael Jackson's This Is It in London. I got to see where Michael Jackson's This Is Concert was going to be, the 02 arena.

One of the coolest things I have found out after my trip was that the building in South Kensington/Hyde Park, my dad had baptized all 21 people he had taught when he was in London for his mission. I wish I had known that before because it would have made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable and appreciated.

All in all I had a great time and I'm ready to travel more! FILIP YOUR THE MAN

No comments: